Thursday 1 October 2015

Review - The Allure of Dean Harper by R.S. Grey


Title: The Allure of Dean Harper
Series: The Allure #2
Author: R.S. Grey
Release Date: September 28, 2015


From: LilyNBlack@Gmail.com
To: JosephineKeller@VogueMagazine.com
Subject: You’re a flippin’ idiot

Good morning my dear, naive friend, 

I hope you’re enjoying a breakfast of regret and sorrow.

Why? 

Because you sent me to work for Dean Harper, aka a control freak in a tailor-made suit. Sure he owns the trendiest restaurants in NYC, but c'mon Jo, his ego makes Kanye West look like the Dalai Lama.

He's the type of guy that only hears the word “no” when it's followed by “don’t stop.”

Working for Dean Harper would be like selling my soul to the devil…and before you say anything, I don’t care if the devil has punch-you-in-the-gut brown eyes and an ass to match. My soul isn’t for sale.

Love, 
Regretfully yours,
Lily


The Allure of Dean Harper is a full-length standalone romance with overlapping characters from The Allure of Julian Lefray. Both books can be read separately. Chronologically, The Allure of Julian Lefray happens first.






Gah! Why, oh, why wasn’t this story longer? Don’t get me wrong, The Allure of Dean Harper is a complete, full, well-rounded and adorably finished story, but I DIDN’T WANT IT TO END! I loved it, and I probably could have read about Dean and Lily for another few hundred pages…

Lily Black is newly arrived in New York City, excited to be living with her best friend, Jo, and to get to work making a name for herself in the culinary industry. One problem: Dean Harper.

He might be the sexiest man she’s ever seen, successful as hell, and the best friend of her best friend’s boyfriend, but that doesn’t stop him being the world’s biggest asshole.

And now, Lily has to work for him…

If I tried to outline WHY I loved this book so much, I think we’d all be here for hours. Me, trying to find the words, and you, trying to make sense of my rambling. So, I’ll try to keep it brief. Try being the operative word…

The Allure of Dean Harper is playful, funny and endearing. It’s a rock solid hate-to-love story, that balances Dean assholishness (totally a word) with Lily’s brashness, and makes both characters completely lovable. Like, to the point I am not sure who I am crushing on more—the controlling, arrogant Dean, or the blunt but funny Lily. Their story is nothing particularly new, but it’s written so well, feels so fresh, is so captivating that I couldn’t have put it down for love or money.

I loved the way Dean and Lily went head-to-head, and that even as they hated each other, you could feel the tension and sparks flying off the page. I loved the appearances by Jo and Julian, book one’s perfect couple, and how their friendships with Dean and Lily forced the two to try to work their shit out—even if it was slightly Machiavellian on both sides. I loved that even without graphic, over-the-top erotic sex scenes, this book was enough to make me swoon, sigh and feel sexy. And I loved the little sense of mystery that resulted in a laugh-out-loud funny strip club moment.

Yeah, that about sums it up. I loved this book. Everything about it. Except the fact that it had to end. I am STILL not over that… 
~ Review by Beth

After meeting both Dean and Lily in The Allure of Julian Lefray I couldn’t wait to read more about them in their own book. 

Lily Black and Dean Harper start off on the wrong foot the moment they meet. They’re both stubborn as hell and cannot stand each other. They’re constantly getting on each other’s nerves but can’t seem to get away from each other as their best friends are dating. 

I laughed so much at Lily’s antics. She says some of the funniest things and even though she may hate Dean, she can’t help but love him at the same time. Together, Lily and Dean were a hot mess, but they were worse off when they were apart. They had a love-hate relationship, and that worked for them. 

I loved this book. It was a quick read that I didn’t want to put down. R.S. Grey’s writing pulls you in and makes you feel so much for her characters. I can’t wait to read more books from her in the future.
~ Review by Leah





I am a lover of books, chocolate, reality TV, black labs, and cold weather. Seriously, if I had it my way I would be curled up on the couch with all of those things...everyday. 
I live in Texas where I spend my free time writing and reading. My favorite authors are Mindy Kaling & Jonathan Safran Foer. I'm a comedy geek and love all things funny. Women like Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, and Mindy Kaling are definitely the biggest inspirations for my writing, though I think my work tends to skew a bit smuttier than theirs.




No comments:

Post a Comment