Tuesday 6 October 2015

Review - A Lover's Lament by K.L. Grayson and B.T. Urruela


Title: A Lover’s Lament
Author: K.L. Grayson and B.T. Urruela
Release Date: October 6, 2015


In a matter of seconds my entire world changed, and it was in that moment that I stopped living and simply began to exist. 

In my grief, I sent a letter to the first boy I ever loved. I hoped in writing it I’d find some peace from the nightmare I was living, some solace in my anger.

I didn’t expect him to write back. I wasn’t prepared for his words, and I certainly wasn’t ready for the impact this soldier would have on my life. A deep-rooted hate transformed into friendship, and then molded into a love like I’d never known before. 

Sergeant Devin Ulysses Clay did what I couldn’t: he put the shattered pieces of my heart back together, restoring my faith in humanity and teaching me how to live again.

But now that I’m whole, I have a decision to make. Do I return to my life as I knew it and the fiancĂ© I left behind, or do I walk away from it all for the only man to ever break my heart? 

***

I’ve been living in hell, but you won’t hear me complain. 

These men depend on me, as I do them, and this brotherhood is the only family I’ve ever known.

The Army saved me from a callous mother and a life on the wrong side of the tracks that was quickly spiraling out of control. So unlike most of the men in my platoon, going home wasn’t something I longed for. 

I was content overseas, spending my days defending this country that gave me my life back. Fighting became my new normal … until her. 

A letter from Katie Devora—a letter that I almost didn’t open. Her words put a fire back inside of me that I didn’t know I’d lost. She gave me hope during a time when I was fighting every day just to stay alive, and now it’s time I fight for her.







Oh the feels, the tears, the gut-wrenching heartbreak! This book is simply amazing! I started and finished it in one day—I just couldn’t stop. 

The writing was flawless. From the start I felt like I was part of Katie’s life. When Devin left her, I was crying buckets. And that was only the beginning. She experiences so much in her life—love, loss, and the friendship that gets you through. 

My heart broke for Devin and the life he had. His military career changed him and his men were his family…until a letter changed his life. Please let me say, if you are sensitive to military books, this may not be the one for you—the writing is so fluid and real that scenes jump off the page and into your mind. I could picture these things happening. 

I was nervous and scared when reading A Lover’s Lament. I feel fear and love and angst. There are so many feels that I can’t even explain them all. Often I noticed tears running down my cheeks and I couldn’t stop them; I cried big, ugly cry tears a couple times…. 

A Lover’s Lament is an epic love story of two people who, even though heartbreak, many years and tragedy, find their way to show their love to each other! 
~ Review by Heather

My heart will never be the same…

I am sitting here crying as I write this, yet I’m smiling at the same time. What book does that? I’ve heard fellow reviewers talk about books that have made them ugly cry yet they are so darn happy about it. I don’t think I really understood what they meant… until now. Ladies, I finally get it.

This book…. This book had me crying and sobbing from the first chapter. It also had me smiling and even laughing at times as this is, despite all the sorrow and loss and anguish, a story about love, recovery and forgiveness. You want feels? You have come to the right place.

Katie and Devin had a long history until their fairytale ended so abruptly. Katie never knew why, she just knew her best friend, the love of her life, was gone. Facing a new tragedy, a quirk of fate had Devin back in her life. The spark that they had so long ago was still there but they were in very different places. Could they bridge the gap of hurt and silence to find each other again?

I sat down and read this book in one long, tear-filled, sobbing mess of a marathon. In this age of technology, war is brought to the dinner table in snippets of battle-field updates. A reality so far removed from my own I feel compassion and empathy but obviously couldn’t understand what it means to live that life. This story gave me an incredible glimpse of how a soldier, their families and friends, actually feel. What it really means. Life-changing events are shared in such a way that I honestly feel like I understand so much more of what they are going through. No great fan-fare but through an honest and matter-of-fact retelling, the joy, the sorrows and the horrors are so vivid and real.

An incredible story that is written exceptionally well and left me feeling uplifted even through my tears. Where there’s true love, there is always hope.

“Where do you want me?”
“Everywhere.”

I sobbed, I laughed and I am suffering what I believe is my first true “book hangover”. I can’t wait for more. 
~ Review by Diane




K.L. Grayson resides in a small town outside of St. Louis, MO. She is entertained daily by her extraordinary husband, who will forever inspire every good quality she writes in a man. Her entire life rests in the palms of six dirty little hands, and when the day is over and those pint-sized cherubs have been washed and tucked into bed, you can find her typing away furiously on her computer. She has a love for alpha-males, brownies, reading, tattoos, sunglasses, and happy endings...and not particularly in that order.

Model. Personal Trainer. Motivational Speaker. B.T. Urruela strives to promote a positive and healthy lifestyle through his work and contributions to various charities.


K.L. GRAYSON

B.T. URRUELA

No comments:

Post a Comment