Thursday 5 November 2015

Review - Not That Easy by Radhika Sanghani


Title: Not That Easy
Series: Virgin #2
Author: Radhika Sanghani
Release Date: November 3, 2015


If the women on Sex and the City got dates on a daily basis, and even the more normal-looking girls on Girls, then why wasn't I? If I wanted to live the fun, twenty-something life I was destined to live, I was going to have to up my game. 

Ellie used to be a virgin, but now she's a woman with sexual experience. Well, some sexual experience. She also has debt, an unpaid magazine internship, and three flatmates who left her with the single room to match her single status.

That's okay. She doesn't want a boyfriend anyway—she wants several. And if the sex is exciting enough, her ruthless magazine-editor boss can exploit her dating life for a column. 

But after countless hookups and forced attempts at seeming sexy backfire, Ellie starts to witness the emotional wreckage she's leaving in her wake. Turns out that sex can be hard—and there's a downside to giving it up too easy…





So, apparently, Not That Easy is actually the second book in this series. I did not know this, nor did I have a problem reading this one, so it is definitely a standalone. I will be going back to read book one though, just because I enjoyed this story so much!

Not That Easy was a hilarious read! Ellie lost her virginity at the age of 21 (this is what the first book is about), not because she was saving herself, but because she couldn’t find someone attractive to be with.

“Because I’d been a virgin until the ripe old age of twenty-one. It wasn’t out of choice. All I’d wanted to do was break my hymen, but no one vaguely attractive had offered.”

So Ellie decided, along with her friends help, that she was going to “slut” it up. She was going to date online and have one-night stands and earn lots of orgasms. But of course, nothing went well for Ellie.

“He thought my pubes were spiky. They hurt his penis. My motherfucking pubes were ruining my life yet again.”

Her dates were absolutely hysterically. If it could go wrong it did. I literally laughed out loud more times than I could count while reading this.

“I was a complete bitch. A bitch with a rubber lost in her pussy. Karma 1, Ellie 0.”

And although this story was funny and mostly about mistaken sexual escapades, it was also about learning how to be secure in who you are and what you want. Not to be afraid to stand up for you, no matter what others think. While at times, Ellie’s naivety and insecurity got annoying, I also know that many twenty-somethings have these same issues. I really enjoyed this story and hope to see more of Ellie’s story as well as more from this author! 
~ Review by Tiffany

Ellie is a single girl, just out of college, and working for an online magazine as an unpaid intern. She has only had one sexual partner and is very unhappy about it. 

When she gets a brilliant idea for an article she can write about casual sex for work, her boss reluctantly gives her the go ahead. What she doesn’t expect is how hard “casual sex” can truly be. 

Ellie is a bit immature at times, but she is also very young and has led a very sheltered life. I was not in love with her for some parts of this book, due to a few decisions she made that affected not only her, but all of her friends. 

However, this story had me laughing, and sucked me in. I loved reading about Ellie’s journey to find herself and the elusive O. Her “flat mates” are her friends and sometimes get plowed over in her journey. It was how she dealt with the drama, and all the problems she inadvertently created, that made me love her. 
~ Review by Devlynn



Radhika Sanghani is a journalist for the Daily Telegraph, where she specializes in writing about women and women’s issues. She has an MA in newspaper journalism from City University London, a BA in English literature from University College London, and recently came in second in GQ’s Norman Mailer student writing competition. She is the author of Virgin.


No comments:

Post a Comment