Wednesday 8 July 2015

Review - Fighting Shadows by Aly Martinez


Title: Fighting Shadows
Series: On the Ropes #2
Author: Aly Martinez
Release Date: July 7, 2015


I come from a family of fighters. I always thought I’d follow in their shadows, becoming unstoppable in the ring. That changed the day I saved the life of a woman I loved, but could never have.

My brother hailed me as a hero, and my reward was a wheelchair.

Paralyzed, my life became an inescapable nightmare.

Until I met her.

Ash Mabie had a heart-stopping smile and a laugh that numbed the rage and resentment brewing inside of me. She showed me that even the darkest night still had stars, and it didn’t matter one bit that you had to lie in the weeds to see them.

I was a jaded asshole who fell for a girl with a knack for running away. I couldn’t even walk but I would have spent a lifetime chasing her.

Now, I’m on the ropes during the toughest battles of my life.
Fighting the shadows of our past.
Fighting to reclaim my future.
Fighting for her.







It took me ten minutes to figure out how to even start this review. I mean, I thought I loved Till and Eliza. I DID love Till and Eliza. I DO love Till and Eliza. But holy shit – Flint and Ash? My heart doesn’t even know what to do with all these feelings. I FLOVED Flint and Ash. 

Fighting Shadows starts right where Fighting Silence left off (so, in case you’re wondering, this book should not be read as a standalone) – Flint has been shot and we learn that he’s paralyzed from the waist down. This devastating event, combined with his intense and confusing feelings for the woman he can't have, send Flint on a downward spiral. By the time Ash dives head first (literally) into his life, he’s a miserable bastard. 

Ash is awesome. She’s all lightness and quirky weirdness. She’s endearingly hilarious and adorable as she drags Flint kicking and screaming out of his misery. She made it impossible for him (and me) not to fall in love with her. I spend a lot of time adding book boyfriends to my collection, but Ash is one of the few females to make it into my (sparse) book girlfriend collection. I am crazy about Ash. 

Ash and Flint together? When they have their shit worked out – my God, they’re freakin’ adorable. And sexy. SO sexy. A practically perfect combination of banter, swoon, and sexy, sexy times, this book made me laugh out loud, cry happy tears, and feel my heart explode over and over again. It’s one of those breathtaking love stories that satisfied every romantic bone in my body. Ash and Flint basically melted my entire being down into a puddle of swoony goo. 

And then – THEN, when I was just starting to recover from the beautiful rollercoaster that was Ash and Flint – Ms. Martinez set us up for Quarry’s book and my heart exploded all over again. I can’t wait! These books stick with me – in my heart, and in my brain. I’m so in love with the Page boys – I’m practically counting days ‘til the next one.
~ Review by Shelly




Born and raised in Savannah, Georgia, Aly Martinez is a stay-at-home mom to four crazy kids under the age of five- including a set of twins. Currently living in Chicago, she passes what little free time she has reading anything and everything she can get her hands on, preferably with a glass of wine at her side.

After some encouragement from her friends, Aly decided to add “Author” to her ever-growing list of job titles. So grab a glass of Chardonnay, or a bottle if you’re hanging out with Aly, and join her aboard the crazy train she calls life.



No comments:

Post a Comment