Monday 27 July 2015

Review - The King of Hearts by L.H. Cosway


Title: King of Hearts
Series: Hearts #3
Author: L.H. Cosway
Release Date: July 16, 2015


Welcome to the City, London’s most prestigious square mile, where finance reigns and Oliver King is a rising prince. 

I used to rule the world.

There might be wolves on Wall Street, but there were crocodiles in Canary Wharf. Some of us craved money. Some of us craved power.

I liked money, and power had its advantages, but what I really wanted was to excel, to surpass the men who came before me. I never cared much for love and romance until I met Alexis.

I could feel it the very moment she walked into the interview, with her outspoken charm and vivacious personality. She cast all the others in shadow, made me laugh when life held no humour. Our friendship should have remained professional, but it wasn’t long before the lines started to blur.

You know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men? Well, I never foresaw where my plans would lead, and only in my darkest hour did I finally see the light…

You can have all the money and prestige in the world and still be the poorest man alive. And love, well, I hate to use a tired old cliché, but love can be the thing that truly sets you free.






Oh. My. Goodness. L.H. Cosway is a wonderful, masterful storyteller.

I know that every time I pick up one of her books, I’m going to be transported smack dab into someone else’s life. Maybe it will be an illusionist with a revenge plan. Maybe it will be a circus performer with a chip on his shoulder. This time, it was a troubled millionaire with too many demons – and once again I was drawn right in, immediately invested, and hopelessly in love.

We first met Oliver King as the resident surly drunk in Hearts of Fire. When we meet him again in King of Hearts, we've taken a trip back in time and find him as a successful financier, worth millions, in charge of his own company. He’s on top of the world when he meets Alexis and we’re taken on a whirlwind romantic journey as their relationship catches fire, and then, sadly – as it incinerates. 

This book is a gorgeous friends-to-lovers romance and a heart-wrenching second chance romance all in one. It’s impossible not to lose yourself in this story – Ms. Cosway’s gift (well, one of them!) is in writing fascinating, gripping characters in atmospheric settings. My heart soared when King and Alexis found each other. I sat with thighs clenched, panting at my Kindle as they explored their physical chemistry. My head spun as I watched their whole lives shatter and my heart broke as I learned what King had become. And then the healing – my God, what a beautiful journey they took to bring King back to life. 

Ultimately, this is a story of redemption and the limits (or lack thereof) of real love. It made me laugh, made me angry, made me wish I’d removed my panties before reading, and it made me cry. It is literally everything. 

I loved King – his entire journey, and all his incarnations. The cocky, alpha businessman; the broken, humbled, damaged man; and the middle ground he found when he learned how to move on. 

I loved Alexis – how strong and unwavering and warm and open she was. I loved that we got to spend more time with Matilda and Jay, and Lille and Jack. I loved – everything. 

EVERYTHING
~ Review by Shelly



 

L.H. Cosway has a BA in English Literature and Greek and Roman Civilisation, and an MA in Postcolonial Literature. She lives in Dublin city. Her inspiration to write comes from music. Her favourite things in life include writing stories, vintage clothing, dark cabaret music, food, musical comedy, and of course, books.

She thinks that imperfect people are the most interesting kind. They tell the best stories.



No comments:

Post a Comment