Wednesday 3 February 2016

Review - Wrong Side Girl by Julia Goda


Title: Wrong Side Girl
Series: The Girl #1
Author: Julia Goda
Release Date: January 17, 2016


Cole has been Lizzy’s best friend from the moment he found her crying in the woods two weeks before her tenth birthday. Growing up without a father, Lizzy was raised by her alcoholic and drug-addicted mother. Being branded as the town whore's daughter, she had one bright spot in her dark world: Cole. He was the one constant in her life, the only person she trusted would never let her down. 

He’s her savior, her protector…and the secret love of her life. 
Now, sixteen years later, they both live successful lives in Boston. But while Lizzy still harbors hope that one day Cole will come around and see what’s right in front of his eyes, Cole enjoys his bachelor lifestyle with no intentions of slowing down.
It’s time for Lizzy to move on. 

Cole has been in love with Lizzy since he can remember. Those gorgeous but sad green eyes of hers have held him captive since he was twelve years old. 
But she is too pure, too perfect, too innocent for him and his lustful and promiscuous thoughts. 
He has promised himself he won’t touch her. 
That is, until he doesn’t have a choice but to claim her as his or lose her forever. 

Is it possible for them to have what both their hearts desire or will the cruelty of life keep them apart? 







I read the blurb for Wrong Side Girl and I knew I had to read it!! I thought I had it figured out—boy and girl from the wrong side of the tracks, they fall in love, have some challenges and live HEA… But HOLD ON, it was MUCH DEEPER than that!

Elizabeth (Lizzy) lived a nightmare every day, not only getting verbal abuse from her own mother but by being bullied and judged by her classmates and the townspeople. It was heartbreaking because, no matter what, no one deserves that. Her only solace was when she went into the woods, to her cave where silence and the stars were the only things that calmed her. Little did she know, her prince would come to her rescue…

Cole knew the moment he saw Lizzy that she was the one and only one for him, but their friendship was something that he never wanted to lose so, instead of pursuing her, he went after other girls. I must say, though, that Cole was a big-time manwhore and that did irritate me quite a bit. 

I appreciated that this was told in dual POV, so I could see things both their ways. Something snaps in Cole and he finally decides to let Lizzy know how he feels about her but she's skeptical and I can honestly see why: his manwhoring days! I loved seeing Cole truly prove to Lizzy that he was serious about them but we know things are never that easy, and boy, did Lizzy have him work his butt off! 

Like I said earlier, this was a deep story and that involved Lizzy's past, who her father was, why her mother became who she did and how Cole's past collided with Lizzy now. I have to say that when the "truth" came out I was numb and my heart just went out to Lizzy. I fell in love with Cole for standing up for what was right and fighting for the one he loved! And Lizzy, I loved her determination, resilience, feistiness and beautiful heart. Yes, this story blew me away! 
~ Review by Kara




I have been writing stories in my head since I can remember. Much to my teachers’ dismay, given the task of writing a short essay I would always come back with way too long and detailed stories. Many discussions (I have always been somewhat of a smart-aleck) and bad grades were the result, so that for most of my life I thought I couldn’t write worth a damn and pursued other careers. But the dream of being an author wouldn’t be ignored and kept lingering. With a little help from my fantastic husband, who gave me the necessary kick in the behind, I was finally brave enough to start writing my first novel and finished it only a few short weeks later—well, the first draft, that is. But the seal was broken and since then I have enjoyed given myself over to my stories and making them come to live.

My novels jump genres and touch on all kinds of different topics, but the things I try to focus on no matter what are romance, strong women, and a good sense of humor.

Now, when I’m not in my writing cave, spinning the tales that have been prodding me or editing (yes, I am also a professional editor, guess that degree in Literature and Linguistics turned out to be useful after all!), I enjoy reading, drinking coffee, eating good food, and listening to rock music.

I have lived in Germany (Lower Saxony to be exact­, the rainy-winter and super-humid-summer part), Virginia, and Colorado (where I fell in love with Boulder and the Rocky Mountains). My current home is Southern Alberta, Canada, where I live close enough to the Rockies with my husband and chocolate lab to enjoy the beauty and excitement that is mountain living.



No comments:

Post a Comment