Wednesday 28 October 2015

Review - The Fall Up by Aly Martinez


Title: The Fall Up
Author: Aly Martinez
Release Date: October 26, 2015


I wanted to jump. 
He made me fall.

As a celebrity, I lived in the public eye, but somewhere along the way, I’d lost myself in the spotlight.

Until he found me.

Sam Rivers was a gorgeous, tattooed stranger who saved my life with nothing more than a simple conversation.

But we were both standing on that bridge for a reason the night we met. The secrets of our pasts brought us together—and then tore us apart.

Could we find a reason to hold on as life constantly pulled us down?

Or maybe there’s only one direction to go when two people fall in love at rock bottom—up.






I knew the moment I read the blurb that this story would have my heart in shambles and my goodness, did it ever! 

Levee had my full attention within the first chapter because, like her, I've felt like the way she does due to the pressures of life. As Levee contemplated life, and if she should or should not, Sam was there just waiting for the moment to talk her out of it. I must say that from the beginning their conversation flowed smoothly and my goodness, they had me intrigued. Their joking had me laughing and I might just use some of it in my real life! 

I won't spoil it by saying more but just know that it is a whirlwind of a relationship, with no slow time, and whoa, the sex scenes had me fanning myself to the point that I wanted to stick my head in the freezer to cool down! This story just had so many emotions that I felt my heart was put through the wringer and I wondered if it would be the same afterwards... All I will say is that I. Love. Epilogues!! 

Thank you, Ms. Martinez, for a story about something that affects or has affected many people one way or another, and for helping us to see that we all can play a part in helping someone or allowing someone to help us! 
~ Review by Kara

Levee Williams is strung out, lost, and looking for an escape from her world when Sam Rivers finds her, incognito, on the Golden Gate bridge late one night. Sam is on the bridge for his own dark reasons, and his past has made him sensitive to girls like Levee. Broken girls. Damaged girls. Girls he might not be able to save. 

A sexy, tattooed bad boy with a heart of gold, Sam has a bit of a hero complex and he’s drawn to Levee in a way he can’t quite explain. All he knows is that he needs to make sure she stays safe. Levee, in turn, is drawn to Sam’s gentle humor and the safe feeling she's found in his arms. They know it can never work, but they're determined to give it a shot.

This is a super sweet story with a "prince and pauper" theme that weaves itself into the delicate, tender love story. Levee is a famous pop princess who feels pulled in too many different directions, and is still trying to make peace with a tragic event in her childhood. Sam is an artist who is struggling to make peace with the tragic events in his own past, and figuring out how to let this broken woman into his life. She's not safe for him. But nothing that rewarding is ever safe, right?

The witty banter in this book is fantastic. Sam and Levee are flirty and fun—bringing a touch of lightness to their otherwise sad, dark circumstances. Their chemistry is steamy, but it is really the underlying tenderness and care they give each other that steals the show. I love that Levee took ownership of her troubles and that they fought for themselves, to heal themselves in order to be stronger and better together. 

I really liked this book—it read easily and beautifully, and was full of little laugh-out-loud moments and lots of swoons. In addition to a lovely romance, the other relationships in this book were beautifully written and gave the story depth. Sam's relationship with his best friend and his mom, in particular, were highlights for me. Sam is hilarious, the kind of sharp wit that I am powerless against. Throw in some tattoos and a six pack…I'm done. Seriously. Sam, FTW!

In a nutshell, light and swoony (despite some darker themes), The Fall Up will leave you with a full, happy heart and a giant smile on your face. 
~ Review by Shelly




Born and raised in Savannah, Georgia, Aly Martinez is a stay-at-home mom to four crazy kids under the age of five- including a set of twins. Currently living in Chicago, she passes what little free time she has reading anything and everything she can get her hands on, preferably with a glass of wine at her side.

After some encouragement from her friends, Aly decided to add “Author” to her ever-growing list of job titles. So grab a glass of Chardonnay, or a bottle if you’re hanging out with Aly, and join her aboard the crazy train she calls life.




No comments:

Post a Comment