Wednesday 2 September 2015

Review - Delayed Penalty by Sophia Henry


Title: Delayed Penalty
Series: Pilots Hockey #1
Author: Sophia Henry
Release Date: September 1, 2015


She closed her heart long ago. He just wants to open her mind. For fans of Toni Aleo and Sawyer Bennett, the debut of Sophia Henry’s red-hot Detroit Pilots series introduces a hockey team full of complicated men who fight for love.

Auden Berezin is used to losing people: her father, her mother, her first love. Now, just when she believes those childhood wounds are finally healing, she loses something else: the soccer scholarship that was her ticket to college. Scrambling to earn tuition money, she’s relieved to find a gig translating for a Russian minor-league hockey player—until she realizes that he’s the same dangerously sexy jerk who propositioned her at the bar the night before.

Equal parts muscle and scar tissue, Aleksandr Varenkov knows about trauma. Maybe that’s what draws him to Auden. He also lost his family too young, and he channeled the pain into his passions: first hockey, then vodka and women. But all that seems to just melt away the instant he kisses Auden and feels a jolt of desire as sudden and surprising as a hard check on the ice.

After everything she’s been through, Auden can’t bring herself to trust any man, let alone a hot-headed puck jockey with a bad reputation. Aleksandr just hopes she’ll give him a chance—long enough to prove he’s finally met the one who makes him want to change.






I was so excited to start a new hockey series. I am a huge fan since my husband has played for a long time, so hockey books are one of my weaknesses. This one was raw, real, and at times, intense. 

Auden has suffered a huge loss at a young age that has shaped her into the person she is today. She is closed off, hides her emotions, and tries to make everyone happy. She is also afraid to love. 

“A normal girl would snuggle into his strong warm arms and let him hold her, but I wasn’t a normal girl. I was completely messed up. So messed up that I spilled my life story to a guy I liked but wouldn’t allow myself to get close to.”

Aleksandr is a Russian hockey player. He is playing for a team in Detroit and needs a translator. Since Auden fluently speaks Russian, she is hired for the job. Of course, first impressions leave a lasting impression and appearances can be deceiving. 

Auden is physically attracted to Aleksandr, but refuses to let him know how he affects her. 

“Confessing that I thought he looked hot every minute of every hour of every moment I spent with him might give him the wrong impression.”

When the two finally give in to their attraction, it is hot and sexy. 

“I’m not going to fuck you in the bathroom of a bar, Audushka.” “Why not?” I asked, breathless and confused. He leaned in, his lips brushing my ear, and whispered, “When I fuck you, it’ll be special.”

At times, I wanted to shake Auden. She could be so dense and clueless and even selfish. But as we got to know her, I was able to connect more and more with her. 

I loved Aleksandr! He was such a hot hockey hunk, yet so kind and protective. I also liked the band as well as Kristen, Auden’s best friend and Jason. I really enjoyed this story and look forward to the next in the series! 
~ Review by Tiffany



Sophia Henry, a proud Detroit native, fell in love with reading, writing, and hockey all before she became a teenager. She did not, however, fall in love with snow. So after graduating with an English degree from Central Michigan University, she moved to North Carolina, where she spends her time writing books featuring hockey-playing heroes, chasing her two high-energy sons, watching her beloved Detroit Red Wings, and rocking out at concerts with her husband.



No comments:

Post a Comment