Tuesday 23 June 2015

Review - Repaired by Melissa Collins


Title: Repaired
Author: Melissa Collins
Release Date: June 23, 2015



Liam Davis is a man without a past. That’s what he wants everyone to believe, anyway. Hell-bent on erasing any memories of his previous life, he knows that starting over is all he can do. Hiding who he is, where he’s from, why he’s running, and especially who he’s left behind, Liam has run away from everything he’s ever known. His plan works perfectly until one day when Parker Ryan threatens to expose his carefully concealed world. 

Parker Ryan is a man without a future. Sure, he’s a partner in one of New York’s most prestigious law firms, but he’ll never be more than a failure in the eyes of his boss, his father. Rather than break away from his father’s standards, he finds himself mindlessly pursuing them, in turn sacrificing anything that would actually make him happy. 

When Liam’s and Parker’s lives collide, the ugly truth about who they really are, and who they hope to become reveals itself when they least expect it. As both of their lives become wrecked beyond all belief, they’ll learn how to rely on each other in their journey to become Repaired.









Repaired by Melissa Collins was absolutely FABULOUS!! I’m a conservative reader… I read the same type of books over and over. I know what I like. But when I read the synopsis for this one I knew that it was going to be a must read for me. What I didn’t expect, because I wasn’t familiar with Melissa Collins' work, was that I was going to have my heart strings tugged in a way that I can’t even express. 

Love isn’t exclusive to any specific group of people… EVERYONE deserves to be loved. PERIOD. I love Liam and Parker’s story. They are both broken inside but it’s not an obvious broken. They’re both successful in their field. A pothole, an expensive no-run flat tire and chance bring them together. I fell in love with them also. I found myself thinking when I was on the train, ‘He could be Parker…or Liam.’ My heart hurt; it soared with love found.

“We’d never know how our past would affect our future. We’d never know how today would tumble on into tomorrow. All we could ever do is hold on tight and have faith that somehow it would all work out the way it’s supposed to.” 

This quote is so powerful and I know it will stay with me for so long.
~ Review by Heather


Argh, a new M/M read, and from one of my favorite authors to boot? That makes me a happy camper. Well, as happy as you can be when someone is punching you in the feels and making it hurt so good... 

Liam Davis is running from his past. He doesn't want to let anyone in, he can't let anyone in, and he's determined keep it that way. Until Parker Ryan. 

Parker's future is all planned out. And it's going to be an endless cycle of failing in the eyes of his father. It's not what he wants, but it's all he has. 

When luck brings Parker into Liam's world, he finds what he wants. He just has to show Liam that he can be the man he needs to help him repair his broken pieces...and to let Liam do the same for him. 

On the scale of one to 'God damn it, Melissa, you made me cry again', Repaired rates about an eight. I most definitely felt for these characters as they attempted to make their relationship work despite their less-than-perfect lives. I may not have experienced the brutal ugly cry that Ms. Collins' previous works have wrung from me, but there were times in the second half of this book that I feel it in my gut. It? That sick, sad, hurting feeling that makes you want to wrap the characters up in a big hug and hold tight. 

The first half of this book, on the other hand, had me feeling a little detached. As much as I enjoyed the meet-cute for Liam and Parker, as much as I liked the secondary characters that gave support and love where needed (along with some sound advice), it felt a little slow and uneven at times, and didn't give me that overwhelming urge to press on despite time constraints. But press on I did, because I had faith that Ms. Collins would get me there. And she did. I fell in love with Liam and Parker; Parker for his strength, his morals, his faith in his "us" with Liam, and Liam for his bravery in trying to move on and build something real and lasting despite his doubts. 

Repaired was, in the end, a book that made me feel the words. Made me feel the past and the pain. Made me feel the heat (whoa, did it ever...!), but it also made me feel that ache inside. Every page that brought me closer to the final one was blessing and a curse -- I was gradually finding the story I had wanted from page one, but I was also getting closer to the end just as I was starting to get attached. 

As always, when I finish one of Ms. Collins' books, I'm already chomping at the bit for the next one; another one that'll make it hurt so good, I'd imagine.
~ Review by Beth 


Liam Davis is a man with a past he's spent the last ten years trying to forget. He's done well with that--living his solitary life one day at a time, happy with his small "family" of his boss and his boss's wife.

Parker Ryan is living a dream life--too bad it's not HIS dream. Seen as a failure in the eyes of his father, Parker is wanting to break away from the daily criticisms and live his life for himself.

The day Parker meets Liam is forgettable and unforgettable. Forgettable because Parker has had an incredibly crappy day. Unforgettable because due to his bad luck, Parker was forced to bang his way into meeting Liam--banging on a door, people!

Is this random introduction, just what both men need in their lives to help mend the past and move onto the future? Or is it fate?

I was so excited to review this new M/M book. I love Melissa Collins' numerous others and I have to admit I struggled through the first 50%. There is quite a bit of internal monologue and seemed repetitive and slow in some parts. Even though I was a bit concerned, I knew that if I continued to push through and keep reading, Ms. Collins wouldn't let me down. And I'm damn glad I continued.

Liam and Parker are so wonderful together. Especially once they truly understand where the other one is coming from and just what each of them need. Add in the supporting cast of characters who fully enrich the story and you have a winner!
~ Review by Missy 






Melissa Collins has always been a book worm. Studying Literature in college ensured that her nose was always stuck in a book. She followed her passion for reading to the most logical career choice: English teacher. Her hope was to share her passion for reading and the escapism of books to her students. Having spent more than a decade in front of a classroom, she can easily say that it's been a dream. 

Her passion for writing didn't start until more recently. When she was home on maternity leave in early 2012, she read her first romance novel and her head filled with the passion, angst and laughter of the characters who she read about it. It wasn't long before characters of her own took shape in her mind. Their lives took over Melissa's brain and The Love Series was born.




No comments:

Post a Comment