Wednesday 8 April 2015

Review - What the Lightning Sees by Louise Bay



Title: What the Lightning Sees
Series: Lightning #1
Author: Louise Bay
Release Date: March 31, 2015 




Jake Harrison is everything that Haven Daniels hates about men: over-confident, born into money and too handsome for his own good. Haven finds it difficult to keep her opinions to herself and can’t help but tell Jake exactly what she thinks of him, again and again.
 
Haven Daniels is uptight, smart and a bit of a bitch – the perfect challenge for Jake. It doesn’t hurt that she’s movie star beautiful and has no idea.

Forced to work together, verbal sparring turns into sexual chemistry but men like Jake are trouble and Haven has had enough trouble to last her a lifetime.

Will Haven give into Jake’s charm? Can Jake peel off Haven’s petulant mask, revealing the woman he knows lies beneath?

What the Lightning Sees is a series of three novellas.










Please note: we had two reviewers read this book, and their opinions differed. Our star rating is an approximation based on this. That's books, right?

I have to say that I loved Louise’s Empire State series, but I think that she outdid herself with What the Lighting Sees. Ms. Bay seems to get better with each book she writes! This book was steamy, funny, and heartfelt!

We meet Haven, a hard worker who is often seen as uptight by her co-workers. We only see the true Haven when she is with her brother, Luke, or best friend, Ash. She gets the opportunity of a lifetime when given a celebrity story for the magazine she works for. The only issue? She has to work with Harry, the boss’ friend, who is just filling in as photographer.

Haven makes a lot of assumptions, which lead to her and Harry making a deal; she must answer all his questions honestly and he would help her with Sandy since he knows her. As the two get to know one another, the attraction grows.

“Even through our coats, his hard-on pressed against me. Instinctively, I twisted my body under him. ‘Fuck,’ he whispered into my mouth as he pushed his hips against me. I wanted him. I really wanted him.”

But it takes a lot for Haven to give herself to anyone.

“I think she’s holding herself back, stopping herself. I need to find out why. You people with the vaginas are so complicated.”

And that ending! Why?!? Ms. Bay, you better not make me wait too long for part two!


~ Review by Tiffany


Jake Harrison, rich man, pretty boy, living off Daddy’s money—at least in Haven Daniels’ eyes. Jake appears to be the epitome of everything Haven hates about men and she’s sure to share her feelings with Jake over and over again.

Haven is an uptight bitch who hides her beauty behind severe clothes and an even more severe hairstyle.

Jake and Haven are forced to work together on an important assignment. Will Jake break down Haven’s walls so they’re low enough for Haven to realize the man Jake truly is or will her insecurities be too much?

Unfortunately, I didn’t connect at all with Haven or Jake. Neither one rang true to me by their actions and reactions to the plot line. I found myself not really caring that Haven was a total bitch to Jake and that Jake didn’t have the wherewithal to force Haven to see past her wrong perception of him.

I love Louise Bay’s writing. Her Empire State series had me hooked from the beginning and made her an auto-buy author for me. Louise’s ability to take the reader along for the ride with her characters is usually amazing, but I found myself wanting to get off What the Lightning Sees ride. I just didn’t like where it was taking me.
~ Review by Missy




I write sexy, romantic, contemporary novels - the kind I like to read!

Ruined by romantic mini-series of the seventies and eighties, I love all things romantic. There's not enough of it in real life so I'll settle for books and films.

I love the rain, the West Wing, London, days when you don't have to wear make-up, being alone, being with friends, elephants and champagne.




No comments:

Post a Comment